Zero Waste Washington is seeking interns to assist with preparing for and running the inaugural 2020 Zero Waste Hackathon, from July to November 2020.
The Zero Waste Hackathon is a 5-week virtual program concluding with an online competition day and awards event in mid-October, 2020. The project will include online collaboration sessions and cash prizes to spark innovation in the Zero Waste sector. As the inaugural competition, interns working on this project will be able to significantly contribute to and shape the legacy of this exciting new venture.
Ideal candidates for this position are able to work independently, have strong analytical, decision-making, creative, interpersonal, organizational, and communication (written, verbal, visual) skills, and who has a demonstrated commitment to both racial and social equity and environmental stewardship. Qualified applicants must have the ability to be flexible, handle multiple assignments at one time, work well with people, and be available for activities that include occasional nights and weekends. This is an opportunity to work in a dynamic, inter-disciplinary, and innovative environment to build a more sustainable and equitable future for communities in Washington State.
Interns can expect deep training in various business communications and collaboration technologies/processes as a result of participation in this project.
Typical responsibilities will include:
- Working in a team to prepare logistics for the Hackathon.
- Researching existing Zero Waste ideas, including technology, business trends, incentives, investment stats, etc.
- Writing various Zero Waste briefs, Power Point presentations, and other content in support of the Hackathon.
- Research and administration of various online collaboration technologies utilized by the project.
- Proofing and distributing calendar listings to news media outlets including print and online newspaper, radio, and television. This includes finding up-to-date contact information for media.
- Posting outreach materials to various locations and lists online. This responsibility includes targeting high traffic sites that will increase event participation, such as social media event promotion campaigns on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Pinterest and more.
- Database building, management, and maintenance to ensure accurate and thorough records of progress in communications and marketing, as well as logistical coordination with Judges, Coaches and Mentors.
- Other tasks as assigned.
- Experience working in education or outreach to community members (including projects conducted while in school);
- Experience leading or co-leading a program or project to completion in a fast-paced environment;
- Experience working on a small team or independently as well as working with partners;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and comfort with public speaking; ability to communicate effectively with diverse audiences;
- Proven record of inclusive engagement; demonstrated competency working with diverse cultures; ability to build trust and create authentic relationships with a diverse range of people; ability to deal respectfully and constructively with people of divergent opinions; and
- Demonstrated history of entrepreneurial work ethic.
This part-time internship (10-15 hours per week) will largely be conducted online, with some in-person activities in Seattle, depending on lifting of COVID-19 restrictions. This is an unpaid internship.
How to Apply
Positions open immediately. First consideration will be given to applications received by July 15, 2020. Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and at least two references in a single PDF to email@example.com. Please make the subject of your email “(Last Name) – “Hackathon Internship” and address the cover letter to Internship Manager. Please label any submitted materials, including the cover letter, resume, and references with your last name. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
Zero Waste Washington is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity in all areas of its operations. We are committed to equal opportunity in employment and promotion for all qualified persons without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, military or veteran status, the presence of any sensory, mental or physical disability, pregnancy and childbirth, family responsibilities, or any other basis protected by applicable laws, regulations, or guidelines relating to discrimination in employment.