Where can I recycle?

  • Curbside recycling programs are available in many locations in Washington.  For information about how to participate or to learn exactly what is accepted in the curbside program in your jurisdiction, contact your local government.
  • Curbside organics recycling (yard debris and food scraps) is offered in many jurisdictions.  Contact your local government to find out more.
  • You can also consider backyard composting for many organic materials.

Certain products cannot be collected curbside or composted in your backyard.  However, there are sometimes other ways to reuse or recycle those products!

  • For items that are reusable, consider donating them to a charitable thriftstore. Make sure to call ahead to check that they want the items.  You can also consider putting items on craigslist.org or freecycle.org.
  • Call the Department of Ecology recycling hotline at 1-800-Recycle (9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Monday through Friday except holidays) or go to the 1-800-Recycle website.
  • Ask your local jurisdiction.  For example, if you live in King County, you can go to their “What Do I Do With” website.
  • Recycling your computers, monitors and TVs through E-Cycle Washington.
  • Producer-financed recycling for fluorescent bulbs and tubes will be available in 2013.  Until then, recycling programs for fluorescent lights are available now in some locations – typically for a fee.

Last Updated (Tuesday, 20 July 2010 15:37)