Benefits of Producer Responsibility
There are many reasons why it’s a good idea to require producers to be responsible for recycling their products.
- When producers pay to recycle the products they make, they have a financial incentive to design greener products that last longer, are more recyclable, and are less toxic.
- There’s no charge at the point of recycling. Recycling is covered in the price of the product rather than through taxes or solid waste fees.
- Recycling or disposal costs are moved from local governments and ratepayers to producers and users. Local governments can’t afford to set up programs to recycle all the toxic products that are on the market.
- Programs will be convenient throughout the state. This provides excellent customer service!
- More recycling means more jobs.
- The producers can use their business skills and relationships to develop smart, efficient, cost-effective programs.
Last Updated (Tuesday, 10 August 2010 15:48)